In terms of Section 4(1)(b) and 4(2) of the Right to Information Act, 2005, it is for the information of the general public that the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS), NOIDA is a society with the name as National Open School Society (NOSS) registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and is an autonomous organization under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
A programme providing an elementary education at three levels, for school drop-outs and neo-literates, out of school learners through Accredited Agencies.
The Foundation Course of NIOS has been subsumed into the Open Basic Education 9OBE) Programme. There is a provision of a separate OBE programme for children and adults.
- Types of institutions/ schools, who have a sense of commitment and desire to contribute towards developing a learning society, can apply to become an Accredited Institution of NIOS, provided they satisfy the criteria laid down for accreditation:
- a) The Institution/school must be affiliated to a recognized State Board of School Education / CBSE / ICSE for Secondary/Senior Secondary level,
- b) An NGO/ Registered Society of national repute, engaged in the education of the specially-abled children and in philanthropic activities getting a grant from the Government. The institute should have recognition and accreditation with the Rehabilitation Council of India for running training programme and allied services in their respective areas of disability and objectives of the institution.
- The eligible institution/school may submit the application for the following: –
- a) New Accreditation up to Secondary or Senior Secondary level or both,
- b) Up-gradation to Senior Secondary level, applicable in case of already accredited Institutions,
- c) Increase in number of seats, applicable in case of already accredited institutions
- d) Additional mediums of instruction applicable in case of already accredited institutions
For more on policies and norms, visit NIOS.